1.16.2009

Farmhouse Favorites, Part 1 ('08 Edition).

As promised (better late than never, right?) here's the beginning of my Best of 2008 List(s) I said I would post. I know I am 2 weeks late, deal with it. Below are the artists and bands I dug this past year. If you don't own any of these albums, you should definitely check them out because I highly recommend them. There were a TON of great bands making amazing music in '08, so if anyone says different, they obviously weren't paying attention. By mentioning that, I have to say it was very difficult to narrow it down to just 10 albums, so I put my honorable mentions in there too. If you want to check out my 2007 Music Picks, go HERE.

Top 10 Albums of 2008 (in no particular order)

Foals - Antidotes.



From the minute I finished listening to this album for the first time, I knew it would be on this list. It's catchy, the vocals are on point, and the music is great. A lot of bands try to be this good, but the difference between them and Foals is that they can actually pull it off. I am bummed I didn't get to see them at The Troubadour this past year. Hopefully they tour the States again in '09.
 

Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life.


Easily the best hardcore punk album of 2008. The funny thing is that not only is this a hardcore punk album, but it also has elements of experimental rock, indie rock, noise rock, and even a little jazz to it. Some die hard fans of the band might not have liked the progression on this album, but I enjoyed it. They pulled it off quite well and made a very interesting and original piece of art. I am excited to see their live show when they come to LA this February with Trash Talk; should be a lot of fun. I hope Damian and I can become BFF's.

TV On The Radio - Dear Science.



Didn't really give this album the time of day when it first came out. I heard the single on the radio and thought it was cool, but really wasn't blown away with it like I was Wolf Like Me. When I finally pulled my head out of my ass and downloaded the record (sorry, send promo's people), I really enjoyed it. The entire album is great, from beginning to end. Call me crazy, but I think I even like it more than Return To Cookie Mountain.

Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.



One man wrecking crew Wrest never disappoints. The talented tattoo artist and black metal mad man made another solid album to add to his every growing discography. Leviathan has to be my favorite American Black Metal band out there today. Last I heard Wrest was in rehab, so hopefully he can get well soon; if he isn't already out.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular.



I loved Time to Pretend the first time I heard it on Indie 103, so that was a positive start before I heard the entire album. The whole thing is solid and it reminds me a lot of Summertime for some reason. I thought after hearing Darsh play Electric Feel and Kids over and over and over I would eventually hate them, but surprisingly I didn't/haven't. I still love the enitre album. Go buy it.

GZA/Genius - Pro Tools.


This might be my Hip-Hop album of the year. In fact, I think it is. The beats, the lyrics, GZA's delivery, everything is top notch. GZA definitely stepped his game up and made another amazing album, which I thought would be tough after the DJ Muggs produced Grandmasters. His 50 diss, Paper Plate is hilarious. A lot of rappers say they are REAL hip hop, but honestly here it is. Buy immedatiately. 

The Bronx - III.



I was a little worried about this album at first. The first Bronx record was so amazing, The Bronx II wasn't bad by any means, so I felt if III was anything worse than II I might be watching the decline of another great band after their debut album. It happens all the time, (case in point Weezer) Well, after listening to this album, I am not worried at all. Matt Caughthran's vocals are always great and the music jumps from punk to hardcore to straight up rock n roll through out the entire album. A standard formula this band has successfully locked down. Matt's lyrics are some of the best out there and it doesn't hurt that they put on one helluva live show either. 

Krallice - Self Titled.



A great new American Black Metal band out of New York. The vocals kind of remind me of Burzum, but if Varg actually had good production. Definitely a breath of fresh air in the black metal genre. The album only has 6 songs, but the shortest one is a mere 6 minutes and 6 seconds and the longest is over 15 minutes, so you get the picture of their lengthy epicness. Many Hails to them. 

Genghis Tron - Board Up The House.



Another album I knew once I finished listening to, would end up on this list. Genghis Tron are one of the more original bands that have caught my attention in awhile. I don't even know the genre they would fall into. Metal Electro? In a world of crap, cookie cutter acts, they definitely bring something new and refreshing to the table. Their ferocious sound mixed with chaotic vocals and keyboards is something it seems like I always wanted to hear a band do, but never heard done right. Another band I was bummed I didn't get to see this past year even though I could have twice (Got to the show too late when they opened up for Converge and didn't buy a ticket for their headline show in the Fall when I should have). *Sigh* 

M83 - Saturdays = Youth.



I would like to thank Darsh for getting me into this band. I had heard of them, but never listened to them until this album. Words can't really describe the feeling I had after listening to Saturdays = Youth the first time. After a couple more listens I felt as if I had a time machine and went back to an 80's movie that had a touching story, but also was fun and made me happy if that makes any sense? These Frogs sure know how to make some beautiful music. If you want an album that you can listen to from beginning to end and not get tired of each song then I think you just found your new album to get into. You'll thank me later.


Honorable Mentions 

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III.


 

You knew this was gonna be a banger when it came out, but you always have your hesitations. I could have easily gone without the R&B type songs (Comfortable, Tie My Hands, and Mrs. Officer), but you gotta have radio hits. I think that's what could have pushed Tha Carter III into my Top 10 if those tracks weren't on there. Other than that, Weezy continues to prove why he is one of the best out there right now. 

Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night.



To be honest, I was really never into these guys, but Sex on Fire is so god damn catchy, I had to give the album at least a listen. After listening to it, I really liked it. Lead singer, Caleb Followill's voice grew on me and I have to say it's one of the more original sounding voices in the mainstream world of music today. Definitely a good album to listen to while taking a road trip. This would be my favorite of all their albums, so if you don't listen to them, start with this one. 

Girl Talk - Feed The Animals.



The first time I listened to this album from beginning to end, I was kind of in awe. How could Gregg Gillis pull this off and actually get it in stores? I mean the dude puts anywhere from 7-14 different songs into just 1 of his songs. Any record label lawyer would have been tearing out his or her hair trying to get all these samples approved. Gillis definitely created one of the best mash up albums of the year. An instant dance party.

More Honorable Mentions...

Friendly Fires - Self Titled.
Young Jeezy - The Recession.
Blacklisted - Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God. 
Cannabis Corpse - Tube of the Resinated.
Crystal Castles - Self Titled.
Trash Talk - Self Titled
Warbringer - War Without End.
Norma Jean - The Anti Mother.
Ludacris - Theater of Mind.
United Nations - Self Titled.
Jay Reatard - Singles 06-07 (I know these are old songs, but the album did come out this year).

Next up will be my Top 10 Films of 2008 (
I swear). Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Dan said...

Stoked on this. You are cutie the bomb, who I met at the beauty salon. Loves ya Boo.

The Count said...

What were your Top Albums of '08 Dan?